t. John’s sends mission teams to Nicaragua in February and June each year. All are welcome to join our team on our trip to Nicaragua for one or two weeks. See details below for our next scheduled trip.
If you can’t join us in the mission field, you can support us from home with monetary donations, prayers, and donations of requested goods and items for family packs. See below for information.
Next Mission Trip: – February 17 through March 2, 2018. Registration forms will be posted soon.
What We Do in Nicaragua
- Provide 40+ children with a healthy mid-day meal, Bible classes, and help with schoolwork at the Youth Center.
- Built and maintain a rancho (now a Lutheran church) for the Monte Redondo community.
- Deliver over 300 food packages and hygiene packs each year.
- Provide educational books and materials to multiple schools and the Youth Center.
- Provide painting and construction help for projects at schools, Youth Center and church.
- Lead Vacation Bible School Programs at the Youth Center and rural schools.
- And more! For photos, videos and more details from our most recent trips, visit our mission team Facebook page.
New Opportunity! Housing Project for Feeding Center Families
St. John’s Mission Team is partnering with FNE International and our local Nicaragua friends to support the construction of modest but safe homes for Feeding Center families. FNE International is a 501(c)3 organization that partners with communities in developing nations to identify opportunities to advance housing, health and education.
The small homes cost $2,500 to build (materials and labor) and we are seeking donations, small and large, to support this effort. We are scheduled to construct our first home in February 2018 and hope to build additional homes for the families of our Feeding Center children each trip. This program is set up similar to Habitat for Humanity which requires a commitment of labor and small, but continuous pay-back of some of the housing costs by the home owner.
Upcoming Fundraiser: Hoops for Hope and Silent Auction – Saturday, October 21, 2017 9AM-5PM
Hoops for Hope is our annual 3-on-3 Basketball Tournament that provides some fun competition and a fantastic silent auction. This is a combined fundraiser with our UKANDU Mission Trip. There is a $40/team registration fee; proceeds go to our UKANDU Mission Trip. In addition, our Silent Auction provides lots of opportunities to bid and get great deals on gift cards, theme baskets, local attractions, sports memorabilia and more. Business and individual donations are welcome; funds will be used to provide resources for our brothers and sisters in Nicaragua.
Volunteers are needed for both the tournament and auction! Contact the church office if you can volunteer. For additional information and to register, see our EVENT PAGE.
How Can You Help?
1. Pray for the mission team. 2. Join the mission team. 3. Donate the following:
- Money for the purchase of food for families
- Money for the construction of small houses for poor families
- Funds to support transportation for the Lutheran pastor serving many rural villages
- Toothpaste and/or toothbrushes
- Washcloths – new or gently used
- Paint brushes
- Sewing materials
- Flash drives (for school students and teachers)
Questions? Contact Vic Arellano through the church office.