What’s like Vacation Bible School, but BETTER? Summerfest at St. John’s Lombard! At this summertime evening experience, the whole family can participate in a VBS with activities tailored to their age group. Summerfest kicks off with a pool party on Sunday, June 12, and then continues from Monday – Wednesday, June 13-15 with dinner, worship, and activities each night. Aside from a $10 per family charge for the pool party, Summerfest is FREE! Although we’d love to see you every night of Summerfest, you are welcome to sign up for just one or two nights if that is all your schedule allows. Find more schedule information and online registration HERE.
Our theme is “Do One Thing” once again this year. While kids attend VBS and do service projects, adults will have the opportunity to select from a number of activities. We are going to meet God where He is…in the community, in the hearts of His followers and with those who have yet to know Him. Here’s a sneak peek of what’s in store Monday through Wednesday:
Middle schoolers will be focused on service all week. Their projects will include cooking for the local PADS homeless shelter, serving at PADS, going on a scavenger hunt to get supplies for PADS, and more.
- Baking cookies to distribute to families at Easter Seals while their loved ones are in therapy. We’ll also bake for the Villa Park and Lombard Police Departments as a way of saying thank you for keeping our communities safe.
- Blessing Walk – Pastor Dan will lead a group on a Blessing Walk through Lombard.
- Cleaning – An older member of St. John’s needs some help with some heavy-duty kitchen/bathroom cleaning at her house in Lombard.
- Cooking – We are cooking dinner for the Villa Park and Lombard Fire Departments.
- Flower Bed Care – We will plant, weed, and mulch the flower beds at Easter Seals in Villa Park.
- Healing Prayer Service – A focused prayer night. Bring any physical, emotional, mental hurts. Bring the person who needs prayer, or just bring the name of the person.
- Nursing Home/Beacon Hill — Robyn Boche, St. John’s music teacher, will play piano as we join the residents in a sing-along of hymns and other standards/oldies. We’ll also have a comfort dog with us. There will also be time to just visit with the residents.
- Nursing Home/Lexington Square—Robyn Boche, St. John’s music teacher, will play piano as we join the residents in a sing-along of hymns and other standards/oldies. We’ll also have a comfort dog with us. A rousing game of bingo is also a possibility.
- Painting – Join our team at Family Shelter Services in Wheaton (an agency that helps those affected by domestic violence) as we paint a conference room and hallway.
- Prayer – Manny Mill will lead.
- Scavenger Hunt – Partner up with our junior high students as they go door-to-door in the neighborhood surrounding St. John’s to collect supplies for PADs (the homeless shelter in DuPage County).
- Seated Service– All supplies and instructions will be provided for you. There are several different options to choose from: Make witnessing bracelets,
- assemble fundraising kits for Easter Seals, knit/crochet prayer squares for Comfort Dog Eve to pass out when she goes on her visits, write cards/blessings to PADs (homeless) clients, Lombard and Villa Park Firefighters, Lombard and Villa Park Police officers and Easter Seals clients.
- Yard Work – A senior, home-bound member of St. John’s has some yard work that needs done including cleaning gutters, mowing the lawn, raking the yard.
Ready, Set, Summerfest!